1. Persistence is more important than talent.
2. There is a reason that the word STUDENT comes first in student/athlete.
3. Tuck in your shirt.
4. Don't wear your hat backwards.
5. Practice hard because you play the way you practice.
6. It doesn't take any talent to hustle.
7. Be a student in baseball. Learn the game. Study the history of baseball.
8. Help your team win whether you play or not.
9. Agree to let your coaches train you.
10. Maintain the grades that keep you eligible.
11. Set high standards along with knowing the steps to attain them.
12. Don't tell people what you are worth, prove it to them.
13. Your girlfriend is not more important than your career choice.
14. Your parents love you, but they don't know more than your coach about baseball.
15. Don't let anyone make an excuse for you.
16. Maintain eye contact with all adults when they talk to you. Practice on your friends.
17. It is your coach's opinion of you the counts.
He makes out the lineup. Fail to understand
18. Life is not fair. Regardless of what some people want you to think.
19. Be passionate about your teammates.
20. Love the game.
21. Players are not the only people in the
game. There are coaches, trainers, announcers,
22. Body language screams. It never whispers.
23. Balance makes champions. If you focus on
hitting and ignore the defensive part of your
24. Pitching sets the tone.
25. Work on your game every day of the year.
The guy who beat you out for the
26. Who you are today is a result of who you
were in the past. Fill your past with smart
27. You don't have to be a great athlete to be a good baseball player.
28. Show off your talent to your current coach and your future coach by doing the following (ALL THE TIME):
A. When you jog to warm-up finish first.
B. When you stretch do it best.
C. When you play catch, throw to a target and hit it every time.
D. When you play catch, catch the ball or block the bad throw and keep it in front of you every time.
E. When you are doing a drill, do it perfect, every time.
F. Go hard all the time. Never walk on a baseball practice field.
G. As a batter/runner run to first as though it matters that you are safe.
H. Know the situation on defense and do the right thing.
29. Baseball reveals character it doesn't build it.
30. Character means doing the right thing when nobody's watching.